David Nachtigall is a Houston trial lawyer who represents individuals and businesses in criminal and civil matters. David has extensive trial experience and has represented clients a wide variety of cases in state and federal courts.
David began his legal career at the Harris County District Attorney’s Office as an Assistant District Attorney, where he prosecuted misdemeanor, felony, and juvenile criminal cases. Through his years of work as a prosecutor, David honed his advocacy skills and developed valuable relationships with prosecutors and judges. David’s commitment to professional excellence and his consistent success in the courtroom earned him a reputation as an effective trial lawyer among colleagues and the judiciary.
During his time a prosecutor at the District Attorney’s Office, David was selected to join the Special Prosecutions Bureau where he led large-scale investigations and prosecutions of financial crime and fraud. Today, David is called upon by individuals and corporations for counsel with complex civil matters related to white collar crimes, allegations of theft, and fraud investigations.
After leaving the District Attorney’s Office, David joined one of Houston’s top civil litigation boutiques where he used his extensive trial experience to achieve excellent results for clients in civil matters. As a civil litigator, David handled commercial matters including contractual disputes, fraud, and intellectual property. David again demonstrated his effectiveness in the courtroom and earned an excellent reputation among his colleagues in civil law.
As the managing member of David A. Nachtigall, Attorney at Law, PLLC, David has represented hundreds of individual and business clients. An experienced criminal defense lawyer, David has successfully defended clients facing serious charges in state and federal court and in government investigations. David has represented individual and corporate clients in a wide variety of commercial matters (see a sample of some of the firm’s past matters).
Before returning to law school, David worked as an information technology consultant and software developer for a Fortune 500 company in Dallas. David’s deep understanding of technology assists him in both preparing cases for trial and presenting them to judges and juries.
David is Board Certified in Criminal Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. This distinction, earned by only a small percentage of Houston criminal defense lawyers, recognizes deep knowledge of criminal law and extensive courtroom experience. (Learn more about Board Certification from the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.)
David Nachtigall received both his undergraduate and law degrees from The University of Texas at Austin. David is a graduate with high honors of the McCombs School of business with a focus in management information systems, one of the top programs in the United States. David holds a law degree with honors from the University of Texas School of Law. During his time at the University of Texas School of Law, David was honored with the David J. Beck Endowed Presidential Scholarship in law, a merit scholarship recognized his high degree of academic achievement. David is also a graduate of the International Baccalaureate program at Lamar High School.
David serves on the board of directors of the Harris County Public Defender’s Office and the Executive Committee of the Garland R. Walker American Inn of Court. David is a member of the CJA Panel for the Southern District of Texas, a select group of Houston attorneys selected by the federal judiciary to provide defense to indigent persons charged with federal crimes.
David is a native Houstonian, having left only for his education and to work in Dallas in between college and law school. David lives in Houston with his wife and children. David has been a musician for 30 years, and spends much of the little free time he has in his studio at home.
- J.D. with Honors, The University of Texas School of Law, David J. Beck Endowed Presidential Scholarship Recipient
- B.B.A. with High Honors, The University of Texas at Austin, McCombs School of Business
HONORS AND COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
- Garland R. Walker American Inn of Court, Executive Committee
- Harris County Public Defender’s Office, Board Member
- Texas Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Board Certified, Criminal Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
- The College of the State Bar of Texas
- Houston Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Houston Bar Association’s Night Court (2006-2011)
- Joyce, McFarland + McFarland, LLP, Associate
- Harris County District Attorney’s Office, Assistant District Attorney
- Hitachi Consulting, Consultant / Software Developer
- The Practice of Criminal Defense, University of Houston Law Center
- The Juvenile Justice System for Teachers, Teacher’s Law School
- The Structure of the Harris County Judiciary, Leadership Houston
- Evidentiary Issues in Criminal Law, University of Houston Law Center
- Vice Cases and Money Laundering Training, Harris County District Attorney’s Office
- Physical Evidence: Best Practices, South Texas College of Law Ethics Symposium
- The Texas Penal Code, Houston Police Academy
- Criminal Law Panel Discussion, Lamar High School
- Copyright Law and Teens, Memorial High School